"compensates" in the verb sense
1. compensate, counterbalance, correct, make up, even out, even off, even up
"engineers will work to correct the effects or air resistance"
2. compensate, recompense, repair, indemnify
make amends for pay compensation for
"One can never fully repair the suffering and losses of the Jews in the Third Reich"
"She was compensated for the loss of her arm in the accident"
3. cover, compensate, overcompensate
make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities
"he is compensating for being a bad father"
4. right, compensate, redress, correct
make reparations or amends for
"right a wrongs done to the victims of the Holocaust"
5. pay, pay off, make up, compensate
do or give something to somebody in return
"Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
6. compensate, recompense, remunerate
make payment to compensate
"My efforts were not remunerated"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License