"poses" in the noun sense
1. airs, pose
affected manners intended to impress others
"don't put on airs with me"
a posture assumed by models for photographic or artistic purposes
3. affectation, mannerism, pose, affectedness
a deliberate pretense or exaggerated display
"poses" in the verb sense
1. present, pose
"This poses an interesting question"
2. model, pose, sit, posture
assume a posture as for artistic purposes
"We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
3. pose, impersonate, personate
pretend to be someone you are not sometimes with fraudulent intentions
"She posed as the Czar's daughter"
4. pose, posture
behave affectedly or unnaturally in order to impress others
"Don't pay any attention to him
5. put, set, place, pose, position, lay
put into a certain place or abstract location
"Put your things here"
"Set the tray down"
"Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"
"Place emphasis on a certain point"
6. perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound
be a mystery or bewildering to
"This beats me!"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License