"distinguishes" in the verb sense
1. distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart
mark as different
"We distinguish several kinds of maple"
2. spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart
detect with the senses
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"
"I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
3. distinguish, mark, differentiate
be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait sometimes in a very positive sense
"His modesty distinguishes him from his peers"
4. signalize, signalise, distinguish
make conspicuous or noteworthy
5. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
identify as in botany or biology, for example
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License