"guess" in the noun sense
1. guess, conjecture, supposition, surmise, surmisal, speculation, hypothesis
a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
2. guess, guesswork, guessing, shot, dead reckoning
an estimate based on little or no information
"guess" in the verb sense
1. think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess
expect, believe, or suppose
"I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"
"I thought to find her in a bad state"
"he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"
"I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
2. guess, venture, pretend, hazard
put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation
"I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again"
"I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong"
3. estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge
judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time
"I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
4. guess, infer
guess correctly solve by guessing
"He guessed the right number of beans in the jar and won the prize"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License