"relinquishing" in the noun sense
1. relinquishment, relinquishing
a verbal act of renouncing a claim or right or position etc.
2. relinquishment, relinquishing
the act of giving up and abandoning a struggle or task etc.
"relinquishing" in the verb sense
1. release, relinquish, resign, free, give up
part with a possession or right
"I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest"
"resign a claim to the throne"
2. waive, relinquish, forgo, forego, foreswear, dispense with
do without or cease to hold or adhere to
"We are dispensing with formalities"
"relinquish the old ideas"
3. foreswear, renounce, quit, relinquish
turn away from give up
"I am foreswearing women forever"
4. let go of, let go, release, relinquish
release, as from one's grip
"Let go of the door handle, please!"
"relinquish your grip on the rope
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License