"recognizes" in the verb sense
1. acknowledge, recognize, recognise, know
accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority
"The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne"
"We do not recognize your gods"
2. recognize, recognise, realize, realise, agnize, agnise
be fully aware or cognizant of
3. spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart
detect with the senses
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"
"I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
4. recognize, recognise
perceive to be the same
5. accredit, recognize, recognise
grant credentials to
"The Regents officially recognized the new educational institution"
"recognize an academic degree"
6. greet, recognize, recognise
express greetings upon meeting someone
7. acknowledge, recognize, recognise
express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
"We must acknowledge the kindness she showed towards us"
exhibit recognition for (an antigen or a substrate)
9. recognize, recognise
show approval or appreciation of
"My work is not recognized by anybody!"
"The best student was recognized by the Dean"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License