"recognise" in the verb sense
1. recognize, recognise
show approval or appreciation of
"My work is not recognized by anybody!"
"The best student was recognized by the Dean"
2. accredit, recognize, recognise
grant credentials to
"The Regents officially recognized the new educational institution"
"recognize an academic degree"
3. spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart
detect with the senses
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"
"I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
4. greet, recognize, recognise
express greetings upon meeting someone
5. acknowledge, recognize, recognise
express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
"We must acknowledge the kindness she showed towards us"
6. recognize, recognise, realize, realise, agnize, agnise
be fully aware or cognizant of
7. recognize, recognise
perceive to be the same
8. acknowledge, recognize, recognise, know
accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority
"The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne"
"We do not recognize your gods"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License