"determining" in the verb sense
1. determine, find, find out, ascertain
establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study
"find the product of two numbers"
"The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
2. determine, shape, mold, influence, regulate
shape or influence give direction to
"experience often determines ability"
"mold public opinion"
3. determine, set
fix conclusively or authoritatively
"set the rules"
4. specify, set, determine, define, fix, limit
decide upon or fix definitely
"fix the variables"
"specify the parameters"
5. decide, make up one's mind, determine
reach, make, or come to a decision about something
"We finally decided after lengthy deliberations"
fix in scope fix the boundaries of
"the tree determines the border of the property"
7. settle, square off, square up, determine
settle conclusively come to terms
"We finally settled the argument"
8. determine, check, find out, see, ascertain, watch, learn
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
"determining" in the adjective sense
1. deciding, determinant, determinative, determining
having the power or quality of deciding
"the crucial experiment"
"cast the deciding vote"
"the determinative (or determinant) battle"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License