"violates" in the verb sense
1. violate, go against, break
fail to agree with be in violation of as of rules or patterns
"This sentence violates the rules of syntax"
2. transgress, offend, infract, violate, go against, breach, break
act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
"offend all laws of humanity"
"violate the basic laws or human civilization"
"break a law"
"break a promise"
"Don't violate my garden"
"violate my privacy"
4. desecrate, profane, outrage, violate
violate the sacred character of a place or language
"desecrate a cemetery"
"violate the sanctity of the church"
"profane the name of God"
5. rape, ravish, violate, assault, dishonor, dishonour, outrage
force (someone) to have sex against their will
"The woman was raped on her way home at night"
6. rape, spoil, despoil, violate, plunder
destroy and strip of its possession
"The soldiers raped the beautiful country"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License