"scatter" in the noun sense
1. scatter, spread
a haphazard distribution in all directions
2. scatter, scattering, strewing
the act of scattering
"scatter" in the verb sense
1. disperse, dissipate, dispel, break up, scatter
to cause to separate and go in different directions
"She waved her hand and scattered the crowds"
2. disperse, dissipate, scatter, spread out
move away from each other
"The crowds dispersed"
"The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached"
3. scatter, sprinkle, dot, dust, disperse
"He scattered gun powder under the wagon"
sow by scattering
5. break up, disperse, scatter
cause to separate
"break up kidney stones"
6. spread, scatter, spread out
strew or distribute over an area
"He spread fertilizer over the lawn"
"scatter cards across the table"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License