"arouses" in the verb sense
1. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses
"raise a smile"
2. wake up, awake, arouse, awaken, wake, come alive, waken
"She woke up to the sound of the alarm clock"
3. raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth
summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
"raise the specter of unemployment"
"he conjured wild birds in the air"
"call down the spirits from the mountain"
4. stimulate, arouse, brace, energize, energise, perk up
cause to be alert and energetic
"Coffee and tea stimulate me"
"This herbal infusion doesn't stimulate"
5. awaken, wake, waken, rouse, wake up, arouse
cause to become awake or conscious
"He was roused by the drunken men in the street"
"Please wake me at 6 AM."
6. arouse, stir
to begin moving
"As the thunder started the sleeping children began to stir"
7. arouse, sex, excite, turn on, wind up
"This movie usually arouses the male audience"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License