"reverses" in the noun sense
1. reverse, contrary, opposite
a relation of direct opposition
"we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
2. reverse, reverse gear
the gears by which the motion of a machine can be reversed
3. reverse, reversal, setback, blow, black eye
an unfortunate happening that hinders or impedes something that is thwarting or frustrating
4. reverse, verso
the side of a coin or medal that does not bear the principal design
American football) a running play in which a back running in one direction hands the ball to a back running in the opposite direction
6. reversion, reverse, reversal, turnabout, turnaround
turning in the opposite direction
"reverses" in the verb sense
1. change by reversal, turn, reverse
change to the contrary
"The trend was reversed"
"the tides turned against him"
"public opinion turned when it was revealed that the president had an affair with a White House intern"
2. turn back, invert, reverse
turn inside out or upside down
3. overrule, overturn, override, overthrow, reverse
"The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill"
4. revoke, annul, lift, countermand, reverse, repeal, overturn, rescind, vacate
"He revoked the ban on smoking"
"lift an embargo"
"vacate a death sentence"
5. invert, reverse
reverse the position, order, relation, or condition of
"when forming a question, invert the subject and the verb"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License