"departed" in the noun sense
1. dead person, dead soul, deceased person, deceased, decedent, departed
someone who is no longer alive
"I wonder what the dead person would have done"
"departed" in the verb sense
1. go, go away, depart
move away from a place into another direction
"Go away before I start to cry"
"The train departs at noon"
2. deviate, vary, diverge, depart
be at variance with be out of line with
3. depart, part, start, start out, set forth, set off, set out, take off
"The family took off for Florida"
4. depart, take leave, quit
go away or leave
5. leave, depart, pull up stakes
remove oneself from an association with or participation in
"She wants to leave"
"The teenager left home"
"She left her position with the Red Cross"
"He left the Senate after two terms"
"after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
6. sidetrack, depart, digress, straggle
wander from a direct or straight course
"departed" in the adjective sense
1. bygone, bypast, departed, foregone, gone
well in the past former
"dreams of foregone times"
"sweet memories of gone summers"
"relics of a departed era"
2. asleep, at peace, at rest, deceased, departed, gone
"he is deceased"
"our dear departed friend"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License