"cheering" in the noun sense
1. cheering, shouting
encouragement in the form of cheers from spectators
"it's all over but the shouting"
"cheering" in the verb sense
1. cheer, hearten, recreate, embolden
give encouragement to
show approval or good wishes by shouting
"everybody cheered the birthday boy"
3. cheer, cheer up, jolly along, jolly up
cause (somebody) to feel happier or more cheerful
"She tried to cheer up the disappointed child when he failed to win the spelling bee"
4. cheer, cheer up, chirk up
5. cheer, root on, inspire, urge, barrack, urge on, exhort, pep up
spur on or encourage especially by cheers and shouts
"The crowd cheered the demonstrating strikers"
"cheering" in the adjective sense
1. comforting, cheering, satisfying
providing freedom from worry
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License