"smear" in the noun sense
1. smear, vilification, malignment
2. smear, cytologic smear, cytosmear
a thin tissue or blood sample spread on a glass slide and stained for cytologic examination and diagnosis under a microscope
3. smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur
a blemish made by dirt
"he had a smudge on his cheek"
4. blot, smear, smirch, spot, stain
an act that brings discredit to the person who does it
"he made a huge blot on his copybook"
"smear" in the verb sense
stain by smearing or daubing with a dirty substance
2. smear, blur, smudge, smutch
make a smudge on soil by smudging
3. daub, smear
cover (a surface) by smearing (a substance) over it
"smear the wall with paint"
"daub the ceiling with plaster"
4. defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, sully, besmirch
charge falsely or with malicious intent attack the good name and reputation of someone
"The journalists have defamed me!"
"The article in the paper sullied my reputation"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License