"nips" in the noun sense
1. nip, shot
a small drink of liquor
"he poured a shot of whiskey"
2. Jap, Nip
offensive slang) offensive term for a person of Japanese descent
3. relish, flavor, flavour, sapidity, savor, savour, smack, nip, tang
the taste experience when a savoury condiment is taken into the mouth
4. chilliness, coolness, nip
the property of being moderately cold
"the chilliness of early morning"
5. nip, piquance, piquancy, piquantness, tang, tanginess, zest
a tart spicy quality
6. nip, pinch
a small sharp bite or snip
"nips" in the verb sense
1. pinch, squeeze, twinge, tweet, nip, twitch
squeeze tightly between the fingers
"He pinched her behind"
"She squeezed the bottle"
give a small sharp bite to
"The Queen's corgis always nip at her staff's ankles"
3. nip, nip off, clip, snip, snip off
sever or remove by pinching or snipping
"nip off the flowers"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License