"eliminate" in the verb sense
1. extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with
terminate, end, or take out
"Let's eliminate the course on Akkadian hieroglyphics"
"Socialism extinguished these archaic customs"
"eliminate my debts"
2. obviate, rid of, eliminate
do away with
3. eliminate, annihilate, extinguish, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off
kill in large numbers
"the plague wiped out an entire population"
4. rule out, eliminate, winnow out, reject
dismiss from consideration or a contest
"John was ruled out as a possible suspect because he had a strong alibi"
"This possibility can be eliminated from our consideration"
5. excrete, egest, eliminate, pass
eliminate from the body
"Pass a kidney stone"
remove from a contest or race
"The cyclist has eliminated all the competitors in the race"
remove (an unknown variable) from two or more equations
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License