"curses" in the noun sense
1. curse, curse word, expletive, oath, swearing, swearword, cuss
profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger
"expletives were deleted"
2. execration, condemnation, curse
an appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group
3. hex, jinx, curse, whammy
an evil spell
"a witch put a curse on his whole family"
"he put the whammy on me"
4. bane, curse, scourge, nemesis
something causing misery or death
"the bane of my life"
5. curse, torment
a severe affliction
"curses" in the verb sense
1. curse, cuss, blaspheme, swear, imprecate
utter obscenities or profanities
"The drunken men were cursing loudly in the street"
heap obscenities upon
"The taxi driver who felt he didn't get a high enough tip cursed the passenger"
3. curse, beshrew, damn, bedamn, anathemize, anathemise, imprecate, maledict
wish harm upon invoke evil upon
"The bad witch cursed the child"
4. excommunicate, unchurch, curse
exclude from a church or a religious community
"The gay priest was excommunicated when he married his partner"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License