"speeds" in the noun sense
1. speed, velocity
distance travelled per unit time
2. speed, swiftness, fastness
a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens
"the project advanced with gratifying speed"
3. speed, speeding, hurrying
changing location rapidly
4. focal ratio, f number, stop number, speed
the ratio of the focal length to the diameter of a (camera) lens system
5. amphetamine, pep pill, upper, speed
a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite used to treat narcolepsy and some forms of depression
"speeds" in the verb sense
1. rush, hotfoot, hasten, hie, speed, race, pelt along, rush along, cannonball along, bucket along, belt along, step on it
"He rushed down the hall to receive his guests"
"The cars raced down the street"
2. accelerate, speed up, speed, quicken
"The car accelerated"
3. travel rapidly, speed, hurry, zip
move very fast
"The runner zipped past us at breakneck speed"
travel at an excessive or illegal velocity
"I got a ticket for speeding"
5. accelerate, speed, speed up
cause to move faster
"He accelerated the car"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License