"regress" in the noun sense
1. regress, reasoning backward
the reasoning involved when you assume the conclusion is true and reason backward to the evidence
2. regression, regress, reversion, retrogression, retroversion
returning to a former state
"regress" in the verb sense
go back to a statistical means
2. revert, return, retrovert, regress, turn back
go back to a previous state
"We reverted to the old rules"
3. regress, retrograde, retrogress
get worse or fall back to a previous condition
4. relapse, lapse, recidivate, regress, retrogress, fall back
go back to bad behavior
"Those who recidivate are often minor criminals"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License