"piles" in the noun sense
1. pile, heap, mound, agglomerate, cumulation, cumulus
a collection of objects laid on top of each other
2. batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad
often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
"made lots of new friends"
"she amassed stacks of newspapers"
"a batch of letters"
"a deal of trouble"
"a lot of money"
"he made a mint on the stock market"
"see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"
"it must have cost plenty"
"a slew of journalists"
"a wad of money"
3. pile, bundle, big bucks, megabucks, big money
a large sum of money (especially as pay or profit
"she made a bundle selling real estate"
"they sank megabucks into their new house"
4. down, pile
fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
5. voltaic pile, pile, galvanic pile
battery consisting of voltaic cells arranged in series the earliest electric battery devised by Volta
6. pile, spile, piling, stilt
a column of wood or steel or concrete that is driven into the ground to provide support for a structure
7. pile, nap
the yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave
"for uniform color and texture tailors cut velvet with the pile running the same direction"
8. atomic pile, atomic reactor, pile, chain reactor
a nuclear reactor that uses controlled nuclear fission to generate energy
"piles" in the verb sense
1. stack, pile, heap
arrange in stacks
"heap firewood around the fireplace"
"stack your books up on the shelves"
2. throng, mob, pack, pile, jam
press tightly together or cram
"The crowd packed the auditorium"
place or lay as if in a pile
"The teacher piled work on the students until the parents protested"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License