"evoke" in the verb sense
1. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses
"raise a smile"
2. provoke, evoke, call forth, kick up
evoke or provoke to appear or occur
"Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
3. educe, evoke, elicit, extract, draw out
deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning
"We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
4. raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth
summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
"raise the specter of unemployment"
"he conjured wild birds in the air"
"call down the spirits from the mountain"
5. suggest, evoke, paint a picture
call to mind
"this remark evoked sadness"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License