"couples" in the noun sense
1. couple, twosome, duo, duet
a pair who associate with one another
"the engaged couple"
"an inseparable twosome"
2. couple, mates, match
a pair of people who live together
"a married couple from Chicago"
a small indefinite number
"he's coming for a couple of days"
4. couple, pair, twosome, twain, brace, span, yoke, couplet, distich, duo, duet, dyad, duad
two items of the same kind
physics) something joined by two equal and opposite forces that act along parallel lines
"couples" in the verb sense
1. match, mate, couple, pair, twin
bring two objects, ideas, or people together
"This fact is coupled to the other one"
"Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"
"The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
2. couple, couple on, couple up
"can we couple these proposals?"
3. pair, pair off, partner off, couple
form a pair or pairs
"The two old friends paired off"
4. copulate, mate, pair, couple
engage in sexual intercourse
"Birds mate in the Spring"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License