"chips" in the noun sense
1. bit, chip, flake, fleck, scrap
a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
"a bit of rock caught him in the eye"
a triangular wooden float attached to the end of a log line
3. chip, cow chip, cow dung, buffalo chip
a piece of dried bovine dung
4. chip, crisp, potato chip, Saratoga chip
a thin crisp slice of potato fried in deep fat
5. check, chip
a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
6. chip, poker chip
a small disk-shaped counter used to represent money when gambling
7. chip, microchip, micro chip, silicon chip, microprocessor chip
electronic equipment consisting of a small crystal of a silicon semiconductor fabricated to carry out a number of electronic functions in an integrated circuit
8. chip, chip shot
golf) a low running approach shot
9. chip, chipping, splintering
the act of chipping something
"chips" in the verb sense
1. chip, chip off, come off, break away, break off
break off (a piece from a whole
"Her tooth chipped"
2. nick, chip
cut a nick into
play a chip shot
form by chipping
"They chipped their names in the stone"
5. chip, knap, cut off, break off
break a small piece off from
"chip the glass"
"chip a tooth"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License