"whirl" in the noun sense
1. whirl, commotion
"he was caught up in a whirl of work"
"a commotion of people fought for the exits"
2. whirl, swirl, vortex, convolution
the shape of something rotating rapidly
3. crack, fling, go, pass, whirl, offer
a usually brief attempt
"he took a crack at it"
"I gave it a whirl"
4. spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirl
the act of rotating rapidly
"he gave the crank a spin"
"it broke off after much twisting"
"whirl" in the verb sense
1. twirl, swirl, twiddle, whirl
turn in a twisting or spinning motion
"The leaves swirled in the autumn wind"
2. whirl, birl, spin, twirl
cause to spin
"spin a coin"
3. eddy, purl, whirlpool, swirl, whirl
flow in a circular current, of liquids
4. spin, spin around, whirl, reel, gyrate
revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
"The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
5. whirl, tumble, whirl around
"The clothes tumbled in the dryer"
"rising smoke whirled in the air"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License