"vexing" in the verb sense
1. annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil
cause annoyance in disturb, especially by minor irritations
"Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"
"It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
2. worry, vex
disturb the peace of mind of afflict with mental agitation or distress
"I cannot sleep
3. agitate, vex, disturb, commove, shake up, stir up, raise up
change the arrangement or position of
subject to prolonged examination, discussion, or deliberation
"vex the subject of the death penalty"
5. perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound
be a mystery or bewildering to
"This beats me!"
"vexing" in the adjective sense
1. exasperating, infuriating, maddening, vexing
extremely annoying or displeasing
"his cavelier curtness of manner was exasperating"
"I've had an exasperating day"
"her infuriating indifference"
"the ceaseless tumult of the jukebox was maddening"
2. annoying, bothersome, galling, irritating, nettlesome, pesky, pestering, pestiferous, plaguy, plaguey, teasing, vexatious, vexing
causing irritation or annoyance
"tapping an annoying rhythm on his glass with his fork"
"aircraft noise is particularly bothersome near the airport"
"found it galling to have to ask permission"
"an irritating delay"
"a pesky mosquito"
"swarms of pestering gnats"
"a plaguey newfangled safety catch"
"a teasing and persistent thought annoyed him"
"a vexatious child"
"it is vexing to have to admit you are wrong"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License