"urging" in the noun sense
1. goad, goading, prod, prodding, urging, spur, spurring
a verbalization that encourages you to attempt something
"the ceaseless prodding got on his nerves"
the act of earnestly supporting or encouraging
3. importunity, urgency, urging
insistent solicitation and entreaty
"his importunity left me no alternative but to agree"
"urging" in the verb sense
1. urge, urge on, press, exhort
force or impel in an indicated direction
"I urged him to finish his studies"
2. recommend, urge, advocate
push for something
"The travel agent recommended strongly that we not travel on Thanksgiving Day"
3. cheer, root on, inspire, urge, barrack, urge on, exhort, pep up
spur on or encourage especially by cheers and shouts
"The crowd cheered the demonstrating strikers"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License