"sums" in the noun sense
1. sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money
a quantity of money
"he borrowed a large sum"
"the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
2. sum, amount, total
a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
3. sum, summation, sum total
the final aggregate
"the sum of all our troubles did not equal the misery they suffered"
4. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty
the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
"the gist of the prosecutor's argument"
"the heart and soul of the Republican Party"
"the nub of the story"
5. sum, total, totality, aggregate
the whole amount
6. union, sum, join
a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets
"let C be the union of the sets A and B"
"sums" in the verb sense
1. summarize, summarise, sum, sum up
be a summary of
"The abstract summarizes the main ideas in the paper"
2. total, tot, tot up, sum, sum up, summate, tote up, add, add together, tally, add up
determine the sum of
"Add all the people in this town to those of the neighboring town"
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License