"deluge" in the noun sense
1. flood, inundation, deluge, torrent
an overwhelming number or amount
"a flood of requests"
"a torrent of abuse"
2. downpour, cloudburst, deluge, waterspout, torrent, pelter, soaker
a heavy rain
3. flood, inundation, deluge, alluvion
the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land
"plains fertilized by annual inundations"
"deluge" in the verb sense
1. deluge, flood, inundate, swamp
fill quickly beyond capacity as with a liquid
"the basement was inundated after the storm"
"The images flooded his mind"
2. overwhelm, deluge, flood out
charge someone with too many tasks
3. inundate, deluge, submerge
fill or cover completely, usually with water
Source: WordNet® (An amazing lexical database of English)
Princeton University "About WordNet®."
WordNet®. Princeton University. 2010.
View WordNet® License